Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Fitting it all in

The blog has suffered lately, because I just didn't fit it all in.  I wonder how other people find the energy.  It's all about choices and deciding what to focus on with your time.  The last couple of weeks have been a challenge for me in regards to fitting it all in.  Work of course got really busy in January--not the best time to try to maintain a marathon training plan!  But I did manage to keep the running streak alive.

I need to learn how to make better choices to fit things in, though.  After a long day at work (not a normal long day, an election season 12 - 15 hour day), all I wanted to do was sit down and NOT look at a computer.  I also did not want to clean, cook, or do laundry.  So I did none of those things.  I got my morning runs in most of the time, but at other times I took the "easy" way out and simply logged my 1 - 1.6 mile "keep the streak alive" run.  I know that getting outside and running a mile is better than not getting out at all, and that most people understand that during a busy season at work it's difficult to fit everything in.  But other people do it (fit it all in, whatever all might be), so why can't I?

The busy work season is now over for a few months, so it's time to refocus.  I got myself a new pair of running shoes on Saturday, but as of today (Tuesday) have not logged many miles in them.  I completed a 20 mile run Sunday a little bit faster than last week's 20 mile run, which is great.  I'm looking forward to this weekend's "short" run of 14 miles!  And I'm trying to remember that I'm running not just as the means to an end (completing another marathon and maybe qualifying for Boston), but because running itself is an awesome journey that has too many benefits to list.  Sometimes I forget this.  Sometimes I forget that there are other things I need to focus on completing (like housework, paying attention to my husband, my master's thesis!).  So now is the time to fit it all in.  If other people can do it, so can I.


1 comment: