Thursday, January 12, 2012

Love it when a run goes well!

Fredo was still his normal self this morning.  Apparently his one day of rest on Tuesday morning was enough.  And the speedwork from yesterday did not tire him out like I thought it might.  Normally when Fredo and I run, his gait is steady and comfortable, and he can keep going seemingly forever.  With speedwork, however, I'm running faster so he has to break stride and go into a trot.  That didn't phase him, though.

This morning called for a 40 minute tempo run, and I had to start earlier than normal to get to work by 7:00.  Fredo started whining before I had even let the dogs back inside from their morning pee...he wanted to make sure I didn't leave without him!  The weather was quite different from the mild, windy morning of yesterday.  This morning it was cool (54 degrees), calm and very quiet in the neighborhood.  For the first half of my run, the only person we saw was our friend and neighbor Tom on his way to work.  Although this was supposed to be a tempo run, I felt like just running...without worry of pace, just enjoying the morning.  Of course, occasionally I would feel like I wasn't running quite fast enough and try to pick up the pace.  It want like this the whole run--enjoy the moment, focus on pace, lose focus, think about running form, focus on pace...I felt like I wasn't running as fast as I should be.

Fredo was happy, I felt pretty good about the run, and 47 minutes and 5.4 miles later, I had averaged an 8:33 pace.  I was very happy with that!  I'm so excited that my runs that feel not fast enough are much faster than they used to be!  And I'm happy that I didn't ruin Fredo's love of the run with overdoing it last week.

We will continue to enjoy the mornings together.

No comments:

Post a Comment