Friday, January 6, 2012

Tough but successful week

Now into the busy month at work, this week, although a short one because of the holiday, was pretty rough.  I am fairly proud of myself for sticking to my running plan, for the most part.  It's tough when working 12 - 14 hour days, but I did it, so I know I can keep it up.

The running plan today called for 8 miles.  I got up at 5:00, let the dogs out, got my clothes together, then realized that I was so tired from the busy week that I was better served getting another hour's sleep rather than running.  This is only because I knew I could go for my run after work.  I admit that I felt guilty about this, because it felt like I was skipping my run, but I knew I would get it in after work.

I've already expressed my feelings about running in the morning...if you take that and reverse it, that's how I feel about running in the evening!  First, my motivation falters and it is so difficult to get out the door once I get home.  There are so many distractions, the pressure to get other things done, or simply the fatigue of the day setting in.  But I knew I would get tonight's run in, I was committed to doing it.  My plan was to run at least 6 miles and try to get close to 8, depending how I felt.  It helps to see Fredo get so excited about running--when he realizes I'm getting ready to run, he will not leave my side because he does not want to be left behind.

Tonight's run started a little rough--two stray dogs decided to block our way--one was friendly and just wanted to play, the other more reserved.  The problem was that Fredo wasn't so sure about her, and they wouldn't leave us alone, so I had to go home and get Brian to block them as we left again.  Why do dogs always find their way to the Quinn's?  This time there was nothing we could do for them, because they were afraid of Brian, clearly they were not treated well by men.  Very sad, but I digress...

I ran a route I hadn't run in a while, and at first was feeling fine.  Although I overdressed--I must remember that when it is warmer than 50 degrees I do NOT need long sleeves.  I found my groove, but I just did not feel right.  My legs felt weak, I felt like I was running slow, just plodding along, but I focused on being okay with that and just kept moving forward.  I thought about how nice it was to be outside after having been inside so much of the week.  But in the back of my mind I was still not thoroughly enjoying the run.  Too much traffic on a Friday night, I had to wait at quite a few intersections for turning cars to pass.  And then I focused again on moving forward...relax the shoulders, arms and wrists, chin down and in, legs powerfully turning a steady cadence...repeat.  I made it 8 miles in 71 minutes, just under a 9 minute pace.  That's good enough for me on weak legs and an environment that is not my favorite. 





No comments:

Post a Comment