Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Why go for a streak? Why not?

Many people think I am a very motivated person, especially when it comes to exercise.  I'm really not.  I truly enjoy exercise, I thrive when pushing the limits of my body and more often, my mind when it says "stop pushing your body" and I can counter "no!"  But I need some sort of goal.  I do not do well if I have no purpose in my exercise.  I suppose this is something I should work on--really enjoying the moment and the journey instead of focusing on the end result.  And I do enjoy the journey, but I know that to stick to a training plan I need some goal as a target.  Right now I have the Virginia Beach Marathon on March 18th.  My training plan at the moment is targeted towards that end, and specifically for qualifying for the Boston Marathon with this race.  I also would like to do another half-ironman triathlon this year and at least 2 shorter distance triathlons before July.  Because of my work schedule from July through November, I will have no goal during that time except to keep running.

This is where the streak comes in, and an additional goal.  There is a group on Facebook called I <3 to Run.  On most days there are motivational posts about running, and I often get a lot out of those little reminders.  In December, however, I read one of their posts about a running streak in 2012.  They proposed that they want to get as many people as possible to run at least one mile every day in 2012.  I didn't really pay attention to that first post, thinking only that it was silly.  Then I saw the post again, and thought, "I wonder how many people would try that?"  Then I saw it again, and thought, "I don't think I could do that.  It's a lot of pressure."  Then I saw it again, just before the new year.  Yup, you guessed it.  I decided, "Maybe I could do that."  After all, what's a mile?  For a long distance runner, it's nothing.  In fact, quite often before or after a Crossfit workout I'll run a mile (as a warm up or cool down).  I don't even "count" it as part of my running program.  But it does count, doesn't it?  It means, at minimum, that I would be moving for 8 or 9 minutes, outside, getting something done.  So I am on day 4, and the streak is alive.  The first three days of running I covered 22 miles.  My marathon training plan has Wednesday as a rest day, and one of the weekend days as a bike day.  The rest of the days are supposed to be run days, with a particular distance or effort, track or hill workout, long run or easy run, etc., planned for each.  I have yet to stick completely to a training plan, and often miss a planned run.  But so far, for the 4 (long) days of 2012, I have run at least a mile every day.

Today I worked a 12 hour day.  It's my busy season, and January will be full of 12 to 16 hour days, weekend work, lots of stress, and lots of fatigue.  Today was no exception--back-to-back 4 hour poll worker training sessions, followed by a stop in the office to get some work done.  On my way home I kept thinking about how my upper back is all seized up, and how I wish our jacuzzi was working because I really need a good soak, and I'm hungry, and it's cold out (44 at 7pm is cold in Florida!).  But the definition of a streak prevents even the notion of skipping a day.  And as I said, what's a mile?  What's 8 minutes?  Okay, so it takes a few minutes just to get dressed and ready to run...but so what?  I got home, changed my clothes, and Fredo the Wonderdog and I ran a mile.  When we were done (Fredo was not happy to be turning back towards home so soon!), I grabbed two more dogs (our big greyhound Bo and little chihuahua Phoebe) and took them for a short walk around the block.  Winners all around!  The streak is alive...for now.  I'm interested to see how this works out.  But it's a goal.  That means motivation.  Silly?  So what.  I like silly.


2 comments:

  1. Great story Becky. Here's to keeping the streak alive.

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you were going to do this after our conversation...good for you. I will provide you with a daily reminder. Yes, you are welcome.

    ReplyDelete