Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sometimes you stick to the plan...other times you listen to your dog

I admit that my first week of sticking to my running plan was rough.  I didn't miss a workout, and I was pleased about that.  But I worked very long days at work, I hurt my feet by wearing my minimalist running shoes too much, and I even tired out Fredo!

So week two began on Monday with a planned easy 4 mile run.  I was tired, very tired.  My shoulder/neck pain prevents me from sleeping well, which doesn't help.  But the run was okay, I was glad I got it done, especially because I worked until almost 9:30 Monday night.  Then came 5:00am Tuesday morning.  The schedule called for speed work (7 x 800m repeats).  Speed work requires focus, determination, and most importantly, some level of energy.  I had none of these things at 5am that day.  But I would have done it.  And then Fredo gave me some advice.  That's right...Fredo the Wonderdog told me to go back to bed.  He didn't say this in words...he told me by his actions.  After letting the dogs out to pee as I always do when I get up, Fredo ran back into bed.  Normally, he will follow me around the house, whining as I get my shoes on and get ready for our run.  But Tuesday morning he jumped into bed with Brian, looked at me as if to say, "Not today woman, not today.  Go back to bed, crazy human."

And so I did.  I only had an hour to sleep, and I didn't sleep well, but it was a good decision.  By the end of the day I was feeling much better, and when I got home around 7:15, I convinced Brian to get on his bike, put the new dog (Ursula the puppy) into the doggie bike basket for her first ride, and join me on my 1-mile "keep the streak alive" run.  It felt really great to get outside and move, so we went around the neighborhood for just over 13 minutes.

Taking that rest day yesterday did wonders. Even though I still got less than 6 hours of sleep last night (that is bad for me--I need sleep!), I was looking forward to my speed work--and so was Fredo!  He was ready to get back to his running this morning.  I admit I was a little nervous (I know that sounds strange, being nervous about a run), but I haven't done speed work in a while, and I had no idea what to expect.  I tend to set high expectations for myself and get disappointed if I don't meet them.  My goal was to run 7 half-mile repeats, with 2:00 minutes of rest between each, in 3:40 each.  I ran just over a mile warm-up, then did my workout on my chosen "track" of two streets in my neighborhood that are flat and form a U with cul-de-sacs at each end.  It was 10 degrees warmer this morning than it has been (65 degrees) and WINDY!  Speed work in the wind is crazy, with half the work with the advantage of the push of a tail wind, and the other half a struggle into the wall of a headwind.  Overall I felt good, and for most of the repeats I beat my projected time.  I also wore my minimalist shoes again for the first time since Friday, and am happy to report no arch or ankle pain.

So Fredo the Wonderdog knew what he was talking about.  A running plan is there for guidance, but should be modified as necessary.  And when I might be too stubborn to make the right decision, I will use the guidance of my Fredo, instead.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to read that your arches/feet are feeling better, I'l be doing a 5x800 or 6x800 track workout tonight in the freezing cold rain. One warining about the minimalist shoes, so you don't get sidelined while training, is that you need to gradually break them in and get used to them. I have flat feet, need orthodic arch supports so I can't wear minimalist shoes. But even if I could, I probably wouldn't becuase of the high mileage you need to run as marathoners like us. The more cushioning you have under your feet in the right places, the better. I don't care what any 'natural-running' research says or that 'Born to Run' book preaches about minimalist and barefoot running...those runners run on dirt and soft earth, we run on roads and hard surfaces, so don't run in the shoes if they aren't working for you or your feet. Just ooking out for you. Have a god run later!

    ReplyDelete