Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year, New Blog

I've never done a blog before, but thought it might help me stick to my training plan, so I'll try it. We'll see how it goes.

The plan for this year is to run the Virginia Beach Marathon in March, and hopefully qualify for the Boston Marathon (which I would run in 2013). I need a 3:40, and my fastest marathon was 3:49 at Tampa in February of 2010. I feel a 3:40 is doable, though, because I have been running faster lately. It will take a good race day and a pace group, and I should be able to accomplish it.

I also want to do another half ironman triathlon this year, which I would have to get done by July because of my work schedule. I don't have one picked out yet, and I'll need to get a few shorter ones in, too. The goal for triathlons is to do a full Ironman in the fall of 2013. Yikes!

The other purpose of this blog is to record my experiences running with my canine partner Fredo the Wonderdog. We don't know how old Fredo is, but he is at least 8 years old, maybe 9. He has been my running companion for the past couple of years and he gets such joy out of it. When I'm having a bad run, I at least look down at him and see how happy he is and it gets me through. But I don't know how much longer he'll be able to run with me. I can't imagine running without him, but I of course know that he can't keep running forever.

So my first training entry will be about this morning's run. My marathon schedule calls for 16 miles yesterday, but I have not worked up to that. In fact, the longest I've run lately is 10.5, and I have not kept up with my week day runs over the past couple of weeks. And I did not run at all yesterday...so this morning the plan was to run 6 miles, and log a long run of 12 miles tomorrow. Then hopefully I can get back on schedule.

I slept in a little bit today, which sometimes would cause me to skip my run, but I am really going to try to get all my planned runs in this year. The weather was beautiful--about 60 degrees with a light breeze, not a cloud in the sky. As we started I felt great, and remembered why I love running. Fredo of course was raring to go. Before 1 mile, however, my body started to yell at me for skipping runs lately, and it became a bit of a struggle for the remainder of the run. My legs felt okay, but I have a stiff neck/shoulder problem that has been plaguing me for weeks, and I felt a little bogged down. I did a route that I haven't done in a long time, so when I reached a point that I thought was almost 5 miles I looked at my watch...NOPE! Only 3.47...argghhh...this is why I do not look at my watch often, because I started thinking about how much farther I had to go and how 6 miles seemed to be taking FOREVER! But then I caught myself thinking negatively and started thinking about the route, breaking it up into pieces that I knew I could accomplish. I tried picking up my turnover to try to run a little faster, which would work for a little bit.

As we got back to my neighborhood I checked the watch one more time and figured out what I needed to do for the end of the run, and came in at 6.15 miles. Pace was 8:47 per mile, which nowadays is on goal for me. On "easy" run days I want to be under 9 minute miles, and when I feel crappy like I did today it's a bonus to come in under that.

So day 1 of 2012 accomplished, Fredo was happy, I'm feeling good, and I'm ready to conquer the year.

6 comments:

  1. Don't let 'how you feel' take a toll on following your training...unless you feel an injury coming on. Keep at it and you'll feel better and better each week!! My official 18-week training for my May 6th Marathon starts tomorrow, but I'm going to try and get my 'long run' in tonight after I'm done at work. Having qualified for Boston in my 1st attempt at the ING Hartford in 3:08, one of my New Year's resolutions is to run under 3hours for my 2nd marathon. After reading your blog, I think you've motivated me to keep one as well for my 2012 marathon...so thanks!! Keep at the running & I'm sure a BQ is in your future! By the way, what training program are you using? I've found that Hal Higdon's schedule is pretty kick-ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Look forward to reading your posts. It will be like we are running together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott, you definitely inspire me to stick to my training. I followed your training for your first marathon via your Facebook posts and you are a machine! I am good at pushing through when I don't feel great--my biggest challenge is just getting out the door. Once I get started, I'm good to go. Which marathon are you doing in May? Are you doing Boston this year, or do you have to wait until 2013 because it was closed when you qualified? Good luck on your new goal! And Christy, it will be a good report for you to keep me honest to my training!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Becky - glad you've started a blog. I have one that I have neglected for the past two years but will be trying to maintain again regularly. It's a great way to record the little things, that otherwise get forgotten, and remember all that you accomplished over the year. Looking forward to reading the adventures of 'marathon-Becky and Fredo'. Happy New Year!! -Stacy W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be running the New jersey Marathon on May 6th this year, the day after I turn 37. My Hartford ING Marathon was too late in the fall to qualify me for Boston 2012, so have to wait for Boston 2013. The only upside is that my body will have another cycle of marathon training before then and it will be during the wintertime like my Boston training will be next year at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will enjoy blogging! It has kept me straight on my training for almost 6 years! (Maybe someday <9 minute/miles will be "easy" for me . . . ) GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete